Welcome. We are recruiting for one position at this time.
Associate Director of Stewardship
Supervisor: Director of Stewardship
Willistown Conservation Trust’s Associate Director of Stewardship assists with the administration, monitoring, and enforcement of 90+ conservation easements, working with the Director of Stewardship to assess and document compliance while striving to maintain positive relationships with easement landowners. The Associate Director of Stewardship also assists in maintaining WCT’s preserve properties; ensuring maximum public accessibility, assisting with habitat restoration efforts, and organizing volunteers and interns as needed to assist with a variety of preserve-based projects.
The responsibilities of the Associate Director of Stewardship include assisting the Director of Stewardship in the following areas:
- Annually monitor all WCT easements; identifying and resolving violations as required.
- Create annual easement monitoring reports for each easement; organize and include supporting documentation such as maps and photos when needed.
- Follow-up with easement landowners after the annual monitoring visits are completed; manage follow-up mailings.
- Maintain conservation easement database and records; both paper and electronic.
- Coordinate with “Landscape” software provider to modify program as needed.
- Back-up key stewardship documents; maintaining originals and copies of annual monitoring reports, critical correspondence, easement violation resolutions, etc.
- Work with easement landowners to interpret easement allowances/restrictions.
- Work with Land Protection staff members to create Current Conditions Reports for easement properties when needed.
- Write Annual Easement Newsletter and work with Communications staff to design print layout.
- Review and interpret proposed architectural, landscape, and engineering plans for easement properties; coordinate with landowner design professionals as needed.
- Perform/maintain documentation of impervious coverage calculations for easement properties.
- Manage and maintain Kirkwood, Ashbridge, and Rushton Woods Preserves and Okehocking Barn for maximum public enjoyment, accessibility and safety.
- Write/update preserve management plans.
- Monitor preserves annually; prepare monitoring reports.
- Manage habitat restoration projects on preserves; organizing volunteers, student service groups, or interns as needed.
- Survey preserves to determine threats by invasive plant species and develop a plan to remediate such areas.
- Maintain landscape and wildflower meadow at WCT HQ; organizing volunteers to maintain or add additional plantings as needed.
- Oversee maintenance of landscaping at Rushton Conservation Center.
- Educate easement landowners on sound property management (e.g., promoting the addition of native species and removal/control of non-native/invasive species, encourage “releasing” pasture fields to be mowed less often).
- Write grant applications for restoration projects at preserves.
- Advanced degree and/or 5 years experience in land trust work, natural resource management, ecology, or other related field.
- Understanding of conservation easements and their management.
- Ability to communicate positively and effectively with a full range of professionals, landowners, WCT constituents and contractors.
- Knowledge of ecological and landscape restoration principles and best practices.
- Ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to read architectural, engineering and landscape architectural plans.
- Experience in managing volunteers.
- Ability to work with basic hand and power tools.
- Knowledge of Windows Office Suite and Geographic Information Systems software.
- Enthusiasm, a good sense of humor, and a passion for the Trust mission.
Salary: Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Equal opportunity employer.
Smoke free and dog-friendly office.
Send resume and cover letter to:
Jeanne B. Van Alen, Executive Director
Willistown Conservation Trust
925 Providence Road
Newtown Square, PA 19073