Coming in the Fall of 2018
What's It For?
The Rushton Conservation Center will showcase the programs of the Willistown Conservation Trust and provide a venue to explore regional and national issues in conservation.
- A timber-frame gathering room with multi-media capabilities for meetings, lectures, and community gatherings
- A demonstration kitchen with full pantry, perfect for exploring farm to fork eating at its best
- A dedicated library and research room to enhance the research of our staff, interns, and university partners
- A multipurpose room with research equipment to support our Watershed Protection, Bird Conservation and Field Study Site programs
- The building will be surrounded by an ecological landscape incorporating a variety of native plants, selected to encourage healthy habitat for wildlife and to serve as a model for sound land stewardship
Who's It For?
YOU!—our community of conservationists—and all who are interested in nature, the environment, and land conservation. We will offer a range of programs for all ages that will help all who attend develop a deeper understanding of nature and conservation:
- Culinary classes for school children, who will learn about sustainable food systems by picking produce from Rushton Farm and using it to prepare healthy meals in the demonstration kitchen
- Research opportunities for interns engaged in our Agroecology, Watershed Protection, Bird Conservation, and other environmental programs
- Lectures on important topics in conservation, featuring Willistown Conservation Trust staff and guest speakers
- Demonstration kitchen dinners hosted by local chefs eager to share their secrets for cooking with sustainably sourced ingredients
- Community workshops on topics related to conservation, such as creating wildflower meadows with native species or building bird conservation habitats in your own backyard